Why Should We Care?
- Nationally 1 in 5 people do not have access to health insurance–the uninsured are our neighbors, coworkers, friends and family members.
- Badger Care Plus Core program is starting but has many exceptions including a 12-month waiting period to become eligible after having access to health insurance.
- Unemployment rates in the area have risen. June 2009 rates were Barron County 9%, Rusk County 13%, Washburn County 9.6%.
- In the first 5 months of 2009 area hospitals reported charity care demand had doubled.
- Surrounding area free clinics including Eau Claire, Chippewa, Dunn, and St. Croix County are operating at full capacity. We anticipate similar demand in the Barron, Rusk, and Washburn Counties.
Typically the Clinic:
- Will serve residents who have no insurance and have low income.
- Will be open the 2nd and 4th Tuesday evenings from 5-9pm.
What Will We Do?
- Our efforts will initially focus on adult and pediatric primary care, limited preventive care, and chronic disease management.
- Offer assistance in applying for benefits and obtaining medications.
- The Free Clinic will not compete with existing health care services
Benefits to the Community
- Provides a service that cannot be found in any other location in the 3 county area.
- Reduces cost to taxpayers for medical care to low income residents.
- Eliminates a major reason for not seeking health care.
- Improves access to health care and in turn improves the general health and economic viability of the community.
- Provides a local source for medical missions work.
What Can You Do To Help?
- Spread the word.
- Donate your time and energy in making a difference in our own community.
- Assist in fundraising.
- Donations of funds, equipment and supplies are tax deductible and welcomed.
Click here to download the flyer.